Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Apple releases wireless Mighty Mouse

Apple finally released a wireless version of their Mighty Mouse today, shortly after AppleInsider released photos of its prototype.

The wireless Mighty Mouse costs US$69, compared to the $45 pricetag on the wired version, and connects via bluetooth. All of its features are essentially exactly the same as the original Mighty Mouse, with one rather notable feature as well - it can run on either 1 or 2 AA batteries. This, I think, is pretty cool. Running the mouse with 1 battery in it will obviously mean that it has a shorter battery life, but it will also make the mouse lighter, which is a plus. A lot of people, especially gamers, steer away from wireless mice because they're too heavy with the batteries in them. A wireless Mighty Mouse, combined with 1 rechargeable AA battery, could be a wonderful combination, as it would likely be light enough to appease a lot of people.

I must say, this really is the best of both worlds. I am a fan of the Apple Wireless mouse, but the one thing I don't like about it is that it only has one button. I'm ok with a one-button trackpad, but I like my mice to at least have a scroll wheel. I like the Mighty Mouse too, but my only problem with it is with the cable - I don't have enough USB ports in my iBook G4 to be able to spare one for a mouse. This solves all those problems!

I think I'm definitely going to go and grab one of these. There's nothing nicer than carrying a bluetooth mouse around with a laptop; we all get sick of trackpads eventually. Now if only Apple would make an ergonomic mouse...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home