Thursday, August 03, 2006

WWDC 2006 Banner

Whilst harmlessly browsing Digg earlier, I happened to stumble upon this image, which is apparently a banner being set up for the World Wide Developers Conference, which kicks off on the 7th of March:


Most of the icons there are familiar-looking, and any secret ones are probably still covered by those black pieces of cloth, but there are some obvious additions. I haven't quite been able to decipher all of them...but the DVD with the big black X on it is clearly the logo for OS X Leopard, I would think. It's much darker than I thought it would be, but nonetheless it looks good. There's also a very noticeable '64-bit' icon, the same that Apple used when the G5 was released. This isn't entirely surprising, as Intel's newly release Core 2 Duo chips support 64-bit processing, but this probably means we're going to see at least one Mac with these chips in them. Not entirely surprising perhaps, but exciting nonetheless!

Some of the logos I just don't recognise. If anybody knows what they are, do let me know! These would be...(roughly from left to right) those 4 little spheres, the green ball with the part-border under the black MacBook (and the orange one above the Xcode hammer, and the blue under the 64-bit icon), and the orange thing above the Java cup. These...I don't quite recognise, but I don't think they're anything new, as they look quite familiar. I just can't quite figure out what they are; for example, it took me a while to recognise the Quartz Extreme logo above the Finder logo on the right.

But if this is anything to go by...Leopard was expected, but also expect at least a Power Mac (Mac Pro?) that looks more or less the same, but with new Intel Chips that support 64-bit. But, Robert Scoble claimed on the bottom of one of the entries to his blog that Apple will unveil a 'dizzing' amount of new products at the WWDC. To quote him exactly:

"Speaking of Apple, they are readying a dizzying amount of new products. I wish I could camp out at an Apple store during the World Wide Developer Conference on August 7th. I wish I could say more, but that'd get me sued by Steve Jobs and I don't need that kind of heck right now."

Exciting stuff eh?

11 Comments:

At 1:21 pm, Anonymous Matthias said...

The "orange thing" is Interface Builder, nothing new. The four-balls thing looks new to me, and the house icon below it is somehow out-of-place. It's not exactly the current home dir icon, so it might stand for the "home on iPod" feature rumored for Tiger.

 
At 1:33 pm, Blogger Mr W said...

Isn't the little house thingy FileVault?

 
At 2:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

 
At 2:48 pm, Anonymous Paul said...

I'm pretty sure the blue, orange, and green balls with part-borders are Core Image, Core Audio, and Core Video, respectively.

 
At 2:57 pm, Anonymous Jason McIntosh said...

Just to let ya know, most if not all of those tags are for standard technology. For example, Automater and the green icon is I think core video. Or something along those lines.

SO, most of those icons I recognize, even if I can't think of the names of them at the moment. But, I'm not seeing any obvious new technologies there.

 
At 3:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that gren ball thing is some XBox integration tool.

 
At 10:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You call yourself an Apple whore? All those icons you don't recognise are not new. They are currently in Mac OS X Tiger's features

 
At 7:25 am, Blogger Apple Whore said...

Thanks for all the comments! Clearly there are plenty of people out there who know far more than I do, which is great!

I might have been a bit unclear; the list of things were the only icons I didn't quite recognise, i.e. Core Audio, Core Image, Core Video.

Anybody know what the icon with the orange thing above the java cup is? Or the four spheres on the left?

 
At 10:46 am, Anonymous Caius Durling said...

The four balls on the CD (as it looks like) is the icon for the server admin tools that come with OS X Server (if my memory serves me correctly.)

As other people have stated, the blue, orange and green balls are the Core stuff (Image, Audio, Video.)

The "Orange" thing above the java cup is in fact yellow and its the Interface Builder.app that comes with the developer tools.

 
At 10:53 am, Blogger Apple Whore said...

The four balls...I think...are Xgrid. Correct me if I'm wrong.

 
At 10:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Xgrid.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xgrid/

Browse through "Explore Mac OS X" section. They are all there. None of those icons are new.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home